Posts for tag: diabetic shoes
Proper care of your feet is extremely important when you have diabetes. This disease causes nerve damage in your feet that can make it hard to know when you have an injury. The reduced circulation often experienced by patients with diabetes also causes wounds and blisters to heal more slowly or not at all. This can increase the risk of a terrible infection that could lead to amputation of one or more of your toes, or even an entire foot in severe cases.
The following tips will help avoid major problems:
- Daily foot checks— Check for any cuts, blisters, swelling or redness. Be sure to look between your toes since problems can easily go unnoticed in this area. You can check the bottom of your feet with a mirror.
- Wash and carefully dry your feet every day—Always test that the water is not too hot and carefully wash and dry your feet at least once a day to keep fungi and bacteria under control.
- Cut your toenails correctly—To avoid ingrown toenails, cut them straight across and not too short.
- Corns and calluses—should be treated by your podiatrist to avoid any cuts and infections.
- Wear specially-designed diabetic shoes—These are an excellent way to keep your feet in good health with the added comfort and support they provide.
- Don’t smoke tobacco—Smoking causes restriction of blood flow and contributes to neuropathy.
- Get regular foot exams—See your podiatrist for proper evaluation and to develop a comprehensive treatment plan for the ongoing care of your feet.
If you are experiencing diabetic foot complications, consult with our board-certified podiatrists at Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee, LLC. The center offers convenient locations in Fort Lee NJ, Ringwood NJ, Flushing Queens NY, Woodhaven NY, Brooklyn NY, and Forest Hills NY. Contact us at (201) 363-9844 and schedule an appointment today!