Posts for tag: diabetic foot problems
One of the most obvious but often overlooked aspects of foot care is the prevention of foot and ankle problems from happening in the first place. Of course, the importance of regular foot inspections, wearing properly fitted shoes, and doing strengthening and flexibility exercises can’t be overemphasized.
Yet another excellent method for being proactive about your foot health is using custom orthotic inserts to provide additional support and to treat and prevent a wide variety of foot, ankle, knee, and back problems. Orthotics can do this by correcting imbalances with your gait mechanics and foot structure.
Custom orthotic inserts offer the following benefits:
● Pressure and pain relief—Pads and other cushioning and supports can help relieve the pain of many skin conditions such as corns, calluses, and of arch problems like plantar fasciitis and flat feet.
● Ankle and foot stabilization—Stabilizing inserts that help improve balance and prevent ankle wobbling can be essential to preventing falls in the elderly and in those patients who have diabetes.
● Preventing the need for surgery—Proper recommendation and placement of orthotics by a skilled foot doctor can prevent any need for more invasive procedures like surgery.
● Treatment for abnormal foot growths and structural irregularities—Toe issues including bunions and hammertoes can be aided with orthotics and they are an excellent way to treat tendonitis and high arches.
● Treatment of diabetic foot problems—In addition to specially designed and comfortable footwear, custom orthotic inserts can treat and prevent diabetic foot ulcers and other injuries to the feet and ankles that may lead to ulcerating infection and possible amputation.
To get the most out of your orthotic inserts, seek the services of an experienced foot care professional for a proper evaluation of your foot structure and gait mechanics. We highly recommend that you consult with our board-certified podiatrists at Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee, LLC. The center offers convenient locations in Fort Lee NJ, Ringwood NJ, Flushing Queens NY, Woodhaven NY, Brooklyn NY, and Forest Hills NY. Contact us at (201) 363-9844 and schedule an appointment today!