Posts for tag: custom made orthotic inserts
Having hard, rough, abrasive skin on your feet looks ugly, and can often feel uncomfortable.
Hard skin on the foot can be easily removed using a file or pumice stone. A pumice stone is naturally abrasive and is made of volcanic rock and crystals, which is an earthy addition to your foot care program. Rubbing away the dead skin on your feet allows new skin cells to grow unimpeded and ushers in a nice smooth texture.
There are a variety of methods for dealing with this common problem, some of which include the following:
- Custom made orthotic inserts—If you have an underlying foot problem, your foot doctor may prescribe custom-made padded inserts that can relieve the pressure on the heel, and on corns and calluses.
- Trimming away dead skin—It’s best to let your foot doctor cut away thickened skin or trim a bothersome corn during an office visit. Your foot specialist can do the trimming without causing any unnecessary bleeding which could end up causing an infection.
- Acid peels—Your podiatrist may recommend a patch containing a high concentration of salicylic acid. While these patches are available at your pharmacy, the prescription strength medicine is more effective at more rapid hard skin removal. The peels may be used in conjunction with abrasive methods.
- Antibiotic medication—Antibiotic cream or ointment may be prescribed to reduce any risk of infection.
- Surgery—In severe cases, your foot specialist may recommend surgery to correct problems like the intrusion of a bone that may be causing friction and callus formation.
If you have difficult to treat hardened skin on your feet, consult with our board-certified podiatrists at Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee, LLC. The center offers convenient locations in Fort Lee NJ, Ringwood NJ, Flushing Queens NY, Woodhaven NY, Brooklyn NY, and Forest Hills NY. Contact us at (201) 363-9844 and schedule an appointment today!