These Shoes Were Made For Walking: Finding the Right Athletic Footwear for You
It’s summertime, and long hours of sunlight, warm weather, and vacation days afford more time to walk outdoors. Walking is a great cost-free, low-impact way to keep your whole body in shape, including your feet. It also helps relieve stress and anxiety by producing endorphins.
Nevertheless, it’s always import to consider your feet before developing a walking regimen, and this consideration naturally includes the shoes you wear. Athletic shoes that fail to provide adequate support can produce blisters, corns, calluses, and plantar fasciitis.
Here is some helpful information to consider when shopping for foot-friendly walking shoes.
Three Basic Foot Types
- Pronators: people with relatively flat feet and low arches that often lead to overpronation.
People with this foot type require motion control shoes that offer ample mid-foot support.
- Supinators: people with high arches, which can lead to underpronation. People with this foot
type need shock absorptive stability shoes with extra reinforcement around the ankle and heel.
- Normal Feet: people who can wear any type of walking shoe.
What to Look For
While an ideal shoe fit highly depends on your individual comfort and foot shape, here are a few features you should always look for in a good pair of walking shoes:
- Lightweight, breathable materials (for comfort and ease of movement)
- Heels that fit snuggly (to avoid rubbing and blisters)
- Smooth seams (to avoid irritation)
Tips for Buying New Shoes
- Shop at the end of the day when your feet are at their most swollen. This will ensure that any shoes you purchase will accommodate your foot’s natural expansion.
- Have your feet measured while standing up.
- Be sure to fit your shoes to the largest of your two feet.
- Leave room for approximately half an inch of space in the toe boxes of your shoes.
- Look for lace-up shoes which allow for stability, control, and adjustability for foot supports.
For more professional advice on athletic footwear, schedule an appointment with a highly qualified foot doctor. At Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee, LLC, our board certified podiatrists Dr. Greg Khaimov, Dr. Daniel Pollack, Dr. Walter Majdanski, and Dr. Yakov Haimof are dedicated to treating all of your common foot problems. The center offers convenient locations in Fort Lee NJ, Ringwood NJ, Flushing Queens NY, Woodhaven NY, Brooklyn NY, and Forest Hills NY. Contact us at (201) 363-9844 and schedule an appointment today!