Five Remedies for Cracked Heels
Cracked heels are very common this time of year and can become painful and cosmetically unpleasing. You may experience more than just dryness as time goes on. The heel can become red, itchy, inflamed and your skin can even peel. But if you take proper precautions as soon as the symptoms start it may be your answer to accomplishing soft, summer heels.
Some causes of cracked heels (also known as heel fissures) are dry air, lack of moisture, improper foot care, aging, prolonged standing and unhealthy diet. Now that we know how it happens and what it feels like, let’s examine some ways to avoid it.
- Rosewater and Glycerin ~ the glycerin will soften while the rosewater adds vitamins and antioxidants with its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Just mix equal amounts of each and rub it on your heels before bed.
- Paraffin Wax ~ this can provide quick relief and works as a natural emollient to soften your heels. You can go to a salon for the treatment or do it yourself at home. Simply melt a block of the paraffin wax in a double boiler with a tablespoon of coconut oil. Allow to cool for about 10 seconds and apply. Cover your heel with plastic wrap and leave on for 30 minutes.
- Honey ~ who knew it had antibacterial properties. You will be soaking the honey with warm water rather than applying so don’t worry about being stuck in the honey pot. Soak for about 20 minutes and then scrub your feet gently afterwards.
- Bananas ~ not just for monkeys. The riper the better as they become softer and cheaper. Mash one banana into a paste, clean your feet well and apply. Let it sit for about 15 minutes as you read a good book and relax. Then gently wash off with warm water and soak in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Petroleum Jelly ~ a multi- purpose product that has been around forever. Scrub your heels and remove as much of the dead skin as you can after a good soak. Rub a good amount all over the heels and put socks on to keep it contained.
Keeping your feet pretty and healthy takes effort and you may need a doctor to provide your solutions. Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee has locations in Fort Lee and Ringwood New Jersey plus Queens, Brooklyn and Forest Hills, New York. You can call 201-363-9844 for an appointment with our team of expert podiatrists. Let us help make your feet happy for Spring!