Ankle Pain Equals No Gain
Ankle pain involves any discomfort in one or both ankles and is often due to a sprain. A sprain is an injury to the ligaments which connects our bones to each other. When the ankle is twisted inward it causes small tears in that ligament which leads to bruising and swelling and the ankle can no longer take its normal weight.
Ankle sprains or ankle pain is caused by:
- Damage of tendons or cartilage
- Infection in the ankle joint
- Arthritis ~ rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, Reiter syndrome, etc.
- Heel pain
- Nerve injuries ~ sciatica, tarsal tunnel, etc.
- Blood vessel blockage in one or both legs
- Rest the injured ankle for at least a week ~ do not put weight on it
- Ace bandage the ankle or a use a brace that supports the ankle
- Use crutches or a cane when walking
- Keep the foot elevated above your heart and use a pillow under the ankle when sleeping
- Ice the area right away
- Pain relievers from the store will help rest the ankle
- Always warm up before you exercise
- Make sure shoes fit properly
- Lose weight if necessary and applicable
- Practice good balance and agility exercises
If you have severe ankle pain even when you are inactive or resting you should contact us at Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee right away. If you have a history of arthritis, symptoms of infection or suspect a broken bone or your symptoms include a fever of over 100 then a trip to the doctor or emergency room is highly suggested.
Our podiatrists believe in immediate treatment of any foot injury and educating yourself to make the right decision for that immediate treatment is essential. Here at Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee, we welcome new patients and are committed to providing the best treatment available. Our team of doctors are Board Certified or Board Qualified and handle all types of foot conditions.
For your convenience, we have two offices in New Jersey (Ringwood and Fort Lee) 201-363-9844 and three offices in New York (Flushing, Woodhaven and Brooklyn) 718-263-3668. Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee will even make house calls in Fort Lee or Queens so NO EXCUSES there!