Posts for category: arthritis
While the joint stiffening and damage caused by arthritis often affect the hands, back, knees, and hips, it can become a problem for your feet and ankles too, adversely affecting your ability to walk and exercise.
Early detection and treatment are essential to slowing the progression of this disease. Custom-made orthotic inserts used with the appropriate footwear can decrease the pain and increase mobility.
2 of the common types of arthritis that cause pain in the feet and ankles include:
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA)—When your immune system mistakenly regards the lining of your joints (the synovium) as a threat, the result is the unfortunate removal of the insulating material that separates your bones, causing swelling, pain, and stiffness. Massage and a relaxing foot soak will help relieve symptoms and medications can reduce pain and inflammation.
- Osteoarthritis—This is the kind of arthritis that is caused by wear and tear on your joints over time. As the insulating cartilage in the joints lessens, the bones can rub directly against each other causing swelling, pain, and severe stiffness. Gout and psoriatic arthritis can also cause these symptoms. Physical therapy exercises to increase flexibility and strength will help maintain foot function and slow the progression.
A consultation with your foot care professional is essential to proper treatment of foot and ankle arthritis. A podiatrist will also identify other causes of foot and ankle pain that may be exacerbating your arthritic condition.
If you are concerned about foot and ankle arthritis, contact our board-certified podiatrists at Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee, LLC. The center offers convenient locations in Fort Lee NJ, Ringwood NJ, Flushing Queens NY, Woodhaven NY, Brooklyn NY, and Forest Hills NY. Contact us at (201) 363-9844 and schedule an appointment today!
Joint diseases that cause stiffness, pain, and swelling are often very debilitating, especially when any of the thirty or more joints in each of your neglected feet are affected. Several of the common bodily arthritic conditions can concurrently have painful consequences for your feet.
Common Arthritic Foot Conditions
- Osteoarthritis—Wear and tear from the rigors of living and aging on the feet is what this arthritis is all about. The constant weight bearing and the pounding of the joints in the feet and ankles eventually take your feet to the cleaners, causing some degree of osteoarthritis.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)—This autoimmune disease is characterized by the body’s own defense mechanisms mistaking the lining of the joints for an intruder and proceeding to eliminate the threat. The seemingly unintended damage to the joints is extremely painful and can contribute to debilitating deformities in the fingers and toes.
- Arthritis from injury—This type of arthritis is most likely to follow after you injure yourself in a fall or otherwise. It can even happen years after the initial trauma. It is actually much more likely that a previously injured or dislocated joint will suffer from this disease, which is why you should seek prompt treatment with your foot care professional.
Treatment for arthritic feet
Treatments for arthritis often include a variety of therapies that can range from wearing more comfortable shoes with proper orthoses, all the way to surgery. Properly placed inserts and specially made shoes will decrease pressure on joints and isolate foot deformities like hammertoes and bunions. Physical therapy exercises are often used to strengthen the feet and ankles and increase joint flexibility and range of motion.
If you are concerned that your arthritis is causing problems, a foot care specialist is uniquely qualified to perform all the necessary tests and exams, so contact our board-certified podiatrists at Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee, LLC. The center offers convenient locations in Fort Lee NJ, Ringwood NJ, Flushing Queens NY, Woodhaven NY, Brooklyn NY, and Forest Hills NY. Contact us at (201) 363-9844 and schedule an appointment today!