Posts for category: Senior Feet
The answer is ~ a lot if we tune them up! It’s no surprise our feet age as we get older just like the rest of our limbs and consequently become more open to injury and infection. If you are in your senior years or have an elderly family member who is experiencing foot discomfort it would be wise to have a full examination from our expert podiatrists at Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee LLC.
Basic Senior Foot Care Tips:
- Shoes are very important if you are still mobile ~ they should fit comfortably
with a wide toe box and arch support along with adequate cushioning in the sole.
- Your feet should be cleaned every day with warm water and soap and pat
them dry over harsh towel rubbing.
- Keep your nails clipped straight across the tip of the nail.
- Inspect your feet often checking them for any color change or unusual bumps, nail distortion or bruises.
- Moisturize your feet but make sure it doesn’t collect between your toes.
- Wear clean and dry socks everyday.
- Avoid socks with elastic tops or rough ridges if your leg or foot turns black or blue.
- Create a foot care kit to have handy when you need it.
If you would just like some advice or want to send a message with your concerns before you come in to the office, please contact our doctors anytime. Our elders are dear to all of us and should feel comfortable talking about their care when they are ready. Sometimes pushing them too soon can delay them getting the help they need. They have been independent for so long but we can be their advocates.
Noticeable change for concern:
- Reduced sensation to pain or very hot/cold temps
- Foot injuries that don’t seem to heal
- Unusual numbness or cramping in feet
- If feet are in pain while walking but are relieved when rested
Three out of four seniors develop foot problems in their later years. Ignoring it won’t be of any help to you or your family. Call 201-363-9844 and schedule a visit with Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee LLC. Don’t let your feet fail you now because you still have plenty more miles to go!
You do not have to suffer in your golden years from aging foot problems that could potentially ruin your independence or mobility. If you live in the New Jersey/New York State area and are need medical advice for yourself or a loved one call one of our offices in Fort Lee, Ringwood or Flushing as soon as possible: