Posts for category: Achilles tendonitis
The Achilles tendon is the largest tendon that you have in your body. It connects from the heel bone to the calf muscle and makes it possible to stand, walk, and exercise. While runners and athletes are more susceptible to experiencing the inflammation and pain of Achilles tendonitis, it can also happen to people who have been sedentary for a long period.
Suddenly starting an exercise program without proper warm up and training can cause considerable tendon pressure. Wearing high heeled shoes can cause the calf muscle to shorten which also stresses the Achilles tendon.
Symptoms of Achilles tendonitis
Whenever you experience the following symptoms, stop what you are doing and investigate before continuing to avoid causing more damage to the tendon:
- Pain, swelling, and stiffness in the back of the heel that continues even after resting
- Pain and swelling in the heel and calf that gets worse with even minor exercise
If you continue stressing the tendon, it can tear or even completely break, requiring surgery to reattach.
Treatment for Achilles tendonitis includes the following:
- Resting—Stop performing any activities that are making your symptoms worsen.
- Icing—Pain and inflammation can be greatly reduced by applying ice to the heel area and calf for ten minutes, several times a day.
- Physical therapy exercises—Stretching exercises for the calf muscle can help ease Achilles tendon problems.
- Wear properly-fitted shoes with custom orthotics—Your podiatrist can do a computerized gait analysis to make sure you are wearing properly-fitted shoes with the correct orthotic inserts.
If you are suffering from Achilles tendon problems, consult with the foot doctors at Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee, LLC. Our team of board-certified podiatrists includes Greg Khaimov, DPM, FACFAS, Daniel Pollack, DPM, FACFAS, Walter Majdanski, DPM, AACFAS, Yakov Haimof, DPM, Mathew Yagudayev, DPM, AACFAS, and Kevin Jeong, DPM. The center offers convenient locations in Fort Lee NJ, Ringwood NJ, Flushing Queens NY, Woodhaven NY, Brooklyn NY, and Forest Hills NY. Contact us at (201) 363-9844 and schedule an appointment today!